While many athletes prefer to work with a coach in person, there’s a growing demand for online coaching services. There are pros and cons to both in-person and online coaches, but online coaches are quite effective for triathletes in particular. Below are a few reasons why:
- Online coaches are a fraction of the cost of in-person trainers – usually dramatically less that the cost of an in-person coach.
- Online coaches create an individualized program to help you achieve your goals whatever those may be – decreasing race time, transition help, marathon training etc.
- Online coaches can be your accountability partner. With contact via email, phone, and perhaps video, your online coach can offer motivation and support throughout your training journey and help hold you accountable.
- Online coaching offers convenience. You do not have to conform to a specific schedule; you can work out wherever and whenever is convenient for you. Your coach will tailor your program to fit your schedule and equipment.
- Online coaches are there to answer your questions and in most cases have an online community for you to join to reach out to for additional support on fitness, nutrition, training and more.
But before you commit to an online coach, be sure they are able to provide the type of training you are looking for (or needing). For instance:
- An effective online coach must be flexible. They should be able to adapt a training program to suit your needs, your schedule, and your lifestyle.
- It’s important to find out how accessible the coach will be to you – how many emails, phone calls, video sessions do you get per week/per month? Determine the type of contact and the frequency up front.
- Be sure your online coach has enough experience and the qualifications to coach you. You can always ask for references and call to speak to their current or past clients.
- It doesn’t matter how much experience your coach has, the training will be no good if your personalities clash. Be sure you pick a coach that will motivate you, guide you, push you and help you achieve all your goals.
Online coaching provides athletes with a personal coach and tailor-made training sessions designed to suit every individual’s goals, schedule, and experience. Tri Right Coaching caters to athletes of all ages, abilities and levels. We take the time to get to know you, how you train, what motivates you, your weekly schedule, and your strengths and weaknesses in order to coach you completely. Contact me today to inquire about online triathlon coaching and how I can help you have your best season yet.
Train Right, Tri Right